Monday, July 20, 2009

UFC Steak Salad!

Thanks to Miranda, I now have a great way to get greens into my hubby's diet!!! My man is very picky when it comes to eating veggies. The bottom line is that he just won't...UNLESS it comes with a side of steak! Miranda, who happens to be a genius, simply combined the two for a delicious and healthy meal.

Last weekend was the UFC 100 pay-per-view, and I wanted to make us something healthy-yet-"manly." I chose this dish, and also decided to recreate my favorite dressing in the whole world: Chili's Honey Lime dressing (used to be served with their now defunct Grilled Caribbean Salad *sniff sniff*). Here's what to do:

Ingredients:

For Steak:
2 lb. flank steak
2-3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2-3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2-3 Tbsp A-1 Steak Sauce
1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce (I used Stubb's)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add sauce and steak to a big ziplock bag to marinate. I only let mine sit for a half hour or so, then asked my hubby to throw it on the grill. Despite the short marinate time, the taste was delicious! After grilling, I let the meat sit for ten minutes or so and sliced it into bite size pieces, against the grain.

For Salad:
Romaine Lettuce
Escarole
Carrots
Grape Tomatoes
Cucumber
Cheddar Cheese (I used about two cups)

Wash, dice and throw all of this goodness into a huge salad bowl. I added the escarole because I'd read about its nutritional benefits and wanted to sneak it into my hubby's diet. He never even noticed ;) Top with the steak pieces and continue to toss, or just leave on top for a pretty presentation!

For Dressing:
1/2 cup Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Throw all ingredients into a bowl and whisk what your mama gave ya. Seriously. Whisk, whisk, whisk. The end result should be smooth and pale yellow in color. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Ta-da!!! This was fantastic, and was surprisingly very filling!! (I blame the steak). Miranda's recipe calls for adding french fries or onion rings also into the salad, but hubby thought that sounded weird, so I left it out. Turns out, he didn't even need it. Thanks, Miranda!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

WOW!
I am utterly speechless. Two recipes out of six are my recipes!
Thank you. I am truly honored!!!

I am VERY VERY glad you enjoyed it!

Miranda said...

ONE MORE BIIIIG THING!!!
Make the hubby try it with onion rings or french fries.

My hubby thought it was wierd too. NOW he loves it...

I promise you WILL NEVER go back!!!!!

Heather S-G said...

Yummy...steak on salad...me likey :D

Leslie Lauren said...

Seriously~ you both need to try the dressing. It is one of my all-time favorites!!!

Miranda, I'll throw some fries on the next batch ;) Hubby won't touch onion rings, but he sure does love some fries!!

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com